Unlocking and jailbreaking are two terms used frequently these days by many mobile phone users. However, these individuals have a lot of confusion with regard to the exact meaning of these terms. It is important to remember that these two are completely different things, though both relate to the usage of modern-day mobile devices.
What is Unlocking?
Unlocking refers to the process of carrier restriction removal with the intention of using a phone on any carrier. This involves eliminating a modem’s SIM restrictions so that the user can opt for any carrier on his or her iPhone.
Unlocking of iPhones can be divided into two types. In the first, the unlocking of the device is done using the software. The second alternative to unlock involves making modifications to the actual hardware of the device. In general, software unlocks are a much safer alternative because it does not modify the device in any way. Also, software unlocked phones can be reverted back to their original states, if required. There are many safe unlocking software available for free. On the other hand, hardware unlocks usually cost money. Moreover, unlocking phones using hardware can be a tricky process.
What is Jailbreaking?
Jailbreaking is a process of modifying an iPhone’s firmware so that the user can access files that are restricted by Apple. This involves running unsigned codes and adding unofficial application installers to the device. Jailbreaking allows the device user to download numerous third-party applications that were not available previously.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Unlocking?
Unlocked phones are extremely on-demand these days because they offer several advantages to the users.
• Users can continue to use the same mobile device even after switching networks.
• While traveling abroad, unlocked phones make it possible to temporarily use local phone services.
Please note that there are also certain disadvantages of unlocking a phone. The most serious disadvantage is that the buyers are required to pay the full price of an unlocked phone upfront. Also, please note that unlocking involves making certain changes to the device. At times, these changes may be beyond the original specification of the manufacturer. This may void the warranty of the phone.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Jailbreaking?
Several limitations are imposed by Apple on its devices and therefore, the temptation to jailbreak these devices can sometimes be difficult to resist because of the following advantages:
• Using apps from all compatible stores
• Customizing a phone’s user interface in ways iOS doesn’t normally allow
• Performing activities that are usually Wi-Fi dependent
• Editing documents and viewing them offline using MS Word or Excel.
However, there are also several reasons to avoid jailbreaking:
• The stability and safety of the device are not guaranteed.
• iOS updates on jailbroken devices are generally delayed
• Immediately voids the warranty on the device
• The process requires some technical knowledge.
Is it Safe to Unlock or Jailbreak a Phone?
Please note that both unlocking and jailbreaking are not illegal in most countries around the world. However, depending on the process followed, both these practices may be dangerous because connecting any mobile device to third-party software or machine involves the risk of altering the settings responsible for the usability of the device.
You May Also Like:
- How to Tell if Someone is Spying on My Phone and How to Stop That
- Ask Your Employees These Questions to Easily Test Their Cybersecurity Awareness
- What’s Computer Hacking and How to Prevent It
- What is Ransomware? Everything You Should Know About Top 1 Possible Cyberattack in 2021
- Affected by Facebook Leak? How to Stay More Private on Social Media